Paul published his first book, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, at the age of 60, and his sons Piers and Nick Torday have founded this new prize in his memory for the best debut novel by an author 60 or over.
We want to celebrate and encourage creativity in later life
We believe it is never too late to discover your passion
We want to promote writing as a second career
The Society is administering the award and entries are open from 1st August 2018. The deadline for entry is 15TH NOVEMBER 2018.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
1. The novel must have been first published in the UK and Republic of Ireland between 1 September 2016 and 31 August 2018 for the first award, and thereafter between 1 September and 31 August in the year preceding that year’s award.
2. The novel must be a full length work by a living author.
3. The book must be in the English language and cannot be a translated work.
4. The novel must be the author’s first published full length fiction work but they can have had works published of other lengths or other genres in the past.
5. The author(s) must be aged 60 or over at the date of first print publication of the novel and living at the date of submission. In the event that the author is shortlisted, they will be asked to provide proof of age.
6. There are no residence or nationality restrictions.
7. We cannot accept books that are only available in e-format or that are only self-published or where the author has contributed or paid for the costs of publishing.
8. Submissions must be made by the print publisher.
9. The decision of the judges is final and they reserve the right not to award the Prize if, in their opinion, no works entered reach a sufficiently high standard. Judges may call in books if they so wish.
The prize will be awarded at the Society of Authors’ annual Authors’ Awards ceremony in July 2019. For any queries, please email email@example.com.