The Society of Authors today announced the shortlist for the 2020 Paul Torday Memorial Prize, for the best debut novel published by an author aged 60 or over. This year’s judges are William Fiennes, Catherine Johnson and Sarah Waters.
- The Burning Land by George Alagiah
- Madeleine by Euan Cameron
- Reparation by Gaby Koppel
- Find Me Falling by Fiona Vigo Marshall
- As the Women Lay Dreaming by Donald S Murray
- The Stranger She Knew by Rosalind Stopps
Paul Torday Memorial Prize Judge Sarah Waters says: “There’s a great range of novels on this exciting shortlist: some have the pace and punch of thrillers and detective stories, others have the lyricism of poetry or the disconcerting shimmer of dream and nightmare. What they all have in common, however, is an interest in tackling some of the big issues of our time -– issues like injustice and reparation, trauma and recovery. They are powerful books by really talented authors.”